...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Packing: Day Three

Today didn’t feel nearly as productive as yesterday, but one very important thing was accomplished.

Many in the readership have expressed interest in how The Couch will be removed from the premises. Several of you have suggested taking a chainsaw to it and then either taking it out the front door or out the living room window. Dan even thought about hoisting it down from the living room (in one piece) by stringing ropes out the living room window and bathroom window. Taking it down the very narrow, back staircase and then somehow lifiting it about the banister, was also considered. It appeared that getting it out the apartment in any way than from which it was brought into the building was a better alternative.

Well all of that doesn’t matter now because I’ve found someone else to do it for us. Today, I walked to the Catholic Workers Thrift Store, conveniently located 5 blocks from my apartment, to merely inquire if they could at least take The Couch on Saturday morning. The nice man who runs the store said they would gladly take it. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t be open until 10:00am that Saturday. This would surely push the move out timeline back, which isn’t the most ideal thing considering the 5400 is about 5 ½ hours from Denver. I still thought this was workable, though, at least I had a place to take the couch that wasn’t a random alley. Then, the nice man in charge made a phenomenal suggestion. They have a truck that picks up donations on Mondays and Fridays! Not only do they pick up donations, but they also move the furniture for you. That’s right, folks, the nice men from the Catholic Workers Thrift Store will be taking The Couch out of my apartment, through the narrow hallway, down the winding stairs and out the front door for me!

I made sure to let the nice man in charge let the nice men who will be moving The Couch that it will take several people and will need to go down some rather tricky stairs. The nice man in charge assured me the nice men who will be moving The Couth do this sort of stuff all the time and that there was nothing to worry about.

So that’s exactly what I’m doing. I don’t have to worry about The Couch anymore. This is a very good thing, considering I now have room to worry about other stuff. Running errands and the like took longer than I expected, so a minimal amount cleaning got done today. Holes from picture hangers and curtain rods were filled, but that’s it. I will be spending a good amount of time tomorrow with my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser trying to get all the grime off my kitchen and bathroom floors, something I’m pretty sure the previous tenants didn’t do. I’ve always thought those floors looked grimy and just overall gross, so I’m hoping this will fix the problem and leave a big ol’ smile on my landlord’s face when he does a preliminary look-through of the apartment tomorrow.

That’s all for now folks. Another update for another day. I don’t know if I’ll be updating tomorrow (a disappointment, I know) because I’m off to have drinks with some former coworkers at our favorite local hangout tomorrow night. Thursday also promises to be a busy day (lunch with another former coworker at Tom’s and a night at the theater), as does Friday (pick up paycheck, donate TV, close bank accounts, couch pick up and the arrival of Abbey, Dan and my good friend Sarah along with Jenn and Phil coming to hang out later that night). It seems the week is quickly coming to a close and it’s only Tuesday. Today was my slack day, but I still feel in control and I hope that’s still the case come Saturday morning (or even Friday night).

Good night folks, I’m sure I’ll talk to you very soon. Hasta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home