...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Best Part of Waking Up? Eah. Maybe…

Trout loves his morning coffee. He has tried to kick the habit, but still starts his morning with a nice, black cup of the magic sauce. When either of us visits one another, mornings always start out with obtaining coffee in some way. Usually this means an early morning outing to Starbucks, or a nice greasy breakfast (except when we go to Snooze, it’s not so much greasy as freakin’ amazing and sometimes smothered in chocolate, cinnamon butter or syrup), where coffee is ordered right off the bat. On rare occasions (and this only happens when I’m visiting Trout, because I don’t own a coffee maker), we sit at home and drink homemade coffee. It is very much a little morning ritual when we get to see one another. It just wouldn’t be morning without it.

I’ve never been a coffee drinker, despite loving the smell and coffee flavored things like Dairy Queen Mud Pie Blizzards. However, since I started dating Trout I find myself drinking coffee more and more. On the rare occasion I would drink coffee (as opposed to the glass of orange juice at breakfast or the hot cocoa from Starbucks), I would override the coffee flavor with cream and sugar. I know, I know, I’m a disgrace to coffee drinkers everywhere.

I remember having a conversation with Trout, quite awhile back now, about my concerns that dating him would turn me into an actual coffee drinker, or even, get me addicted to the stuff. I wasn’t sure what to think about this, but still didn’t worry about it too much, as I was still drinking orange juice or hot cocoa when Trout enjoyed his morning cup. However, in the last few weeks, when offered coffee, not only do I accept, but I don’t ask for anything in it…and the killer part is, I actually enjoy drinking the stuff. It is no longer a struggle to finish the cup. I drink it with ease and then wonder if I should ask for a refill. By myself, it hasn’t become a morning ritual, by any means, and I don’t have withdrawals yet, but a part of me wonders if that’s what’s next.

Although, now that I think about it, I did get a caramel latte instead of regular coffee the other day…so maybe I’m not as far down that road as I think I am. Or that’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trout said...

Another coffee drinker in the world? My work here is done.

7:42 PM

 
Blogger Abbey said...

Oh my dear, I am right there with you. Living with Stacey has turned me into a coffee whore. Bad day..coffee, early morning...coffee, late night study...coffee, sit and chat....coffee. It's bad news, and I'm not strong enough to leave my creamer and splenda out. It's fat free creamer and splenda that makes it okay, right?

12:17 PM

 
Blogger AJQ said...

Abbey, the coffee habit is one thing, but I'm a little concerned with the whore part. Feel free to just drink and enjoy the warm rich flavor of a good cup of java and STOP RIGHT THERE.

2:15 PM

 
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I have never been able to get past the smell and have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Michael practically lived on the stuff and I would always pop a Listerine strip in before he kissed me to kill the taste.

Dirk Mancuso, providing TMI even on other people's blogs.

10:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home