...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Question For the Masses

A while back, I mentioned that as soon as my hair was long enough, I was going to cut it, donate it to Locks of Love and come out of the whole experience with a fabulous short haircut. A couple months later than I originally planned, my hair is finally long enough to go through with the original plan, and not a moment too soon. I’m tired of deciding what to do with it every morning. Drying it takes an extra 15-20 minutes out of my morning, not drying it means it’s wet for a good part of the day, and if the weather is cold enough, it freezes the second I walk out the door. I’m tired of shedding two foot long strands around the apartment and my office. At this length, even one strand of hair seems like a lot. It’s a wonder that I still have hair on my head considering how much I leave everywhere I go. Now that the moment has arrived, however, I’m having a bit of a dilemma.

Yeah, yeah, I know it’s just a haircut, but hear me out, okay?

As previously mentioned, I’ve had short haircuts in the past. The shortest was almost 5 years ago, and was by far my favorite haircut. I was all ready to get a very similar haircut, but then I started looking at other, shorter haircuts and I began to reconsider my options. Here’s the thing, though. My medical history has left me with some rather large scars on the back of my head. Just above the bottom of my hairline and slightly to the right sits a backwards seven with a very fat stem area where hair no longer grows. Almost any length of hair would cover up the top part of the seven, but the vertical scar would be very noticeable with hair shorter than four inches. In the past, the thought of ever having a haircut that exposed the scars was never an option. In the last couple of weeks, however, that doesn’t seem like such a horrible thing. It’s not like I would be able to see them. So what if they’re showing a little bit?

The styles that are becoming more and more appealing are ones that would expose the scar to some extent. So, the question I pose to you, my ever faithful readers, is this: do I go with the longer haircut, one which I know works with my hair type and would cover up the scars, or do I say screw it and go with a new, shorter haircut and embrace what I’ve got, even if it’s not exactly the standard for hip, trendy or very pretty? I’m still giving myself a little bit of time to think this over (and to get a little more length, just in case I decide not to go really short). In the meantime, let me know what you think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Trout said...

Go with whatever makes you happiest. It's your head, so this comes down to you choosing a style you dig and/or have always wanted to try. If you get one that's too short and feel self-conscious about the scar, you can always try a slightly longer version.

9:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote you let the stylist help you figure this out during the consultation portion of the appointment.

I also vote that if you don't already have someone you really, really trust to cut off all your hair, you get a master stylist at an Aveda salon to do it. It'll cost a bundle, but it's totally worth it, particularly for a drastic cut.

10:19 PM

 
Blogger Leta said...

Get whichever haircut makes you smile every time you look in the mirror. The one that does that for me is what I call my "Laura Petrie hair" - a chin(ish)-length bob.

One of my theater friends was in a nasty car accident several years ago which left her with a lot of scars, some in places that she can't cover. She just treats them as part of the way that her life looks on her. (If that makes any sense.)

I'm getting my hair cut in a couple of weeks and will be doing the "Locks of Love" thing, too.

Good luck!

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is not an easy decision but keep in mind that if you go short and layered you will need a good haircut every 4-5 weeks. Can you find a stylist you can work with in your new location? But then on the other hand, it's just a haircut and it always grows back and in your case rather quickly. Go for it!

12:05 PM

 
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Ever the voice of indecision, I would pick the shortest haircut and the longest haircut you really like and see of there is something of a hybrid of the two.

And of course, the plus side is if you're really unhappy with a short cut, it will grow out quickly.

12:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home