...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Packing: Day Four and Five

I finally talked to my landlord yesterday evening, and now I have this dreading feeling that he is going to make my life just a little harder than I would like it to be come Saturday morning. For a brief, shining moment, I thought I wasn’t going to have to wax my hardwood floors. For a brief, shining moment, I thought we’d be able to head out of town by 10:00am. For a brief, shining moment I thought my landlord wasn’t going to live up to his reputation as being a big ol’ pain when it came to moving out. Oh, how I was so wrong, so very, very wrong.

To make a long story short, my landlord believes the following:
  • The nice men who are going to move The Couch will somehow damage something when they move it. A look of dread/disappointment washed over his face when I told him who would be picking up The Couch. I had to reassure him I would be home when they moved it, the people moving it are qualified to do so and that I would be sure to record any damage done to the building so he could charge the thrift store. I almost reminded him that the couch was moved in by my boyfriend, brother-in-law and boyfriend of my sister and they managed to not damage a single thing when they moved The Couch in, but I was afraid he might have an aneurism just from the thought.
  • I am not trying hard enough to get the apartment as clean as possible. When I told him that I couldn’t get the 15 or 20 years of grime off the floor next to the base boards in some parts of the kitchen, he gave me a disapproving look like the only problem was that I wasn’t trying hard enough. I should mention, after spending hours on my hands and knees with Mr. Clean and a toothbrush, the reason the floors won’t come clean is because the previous tenant (or possibly even the landlord, I’m not really sure) waxed over the dirty tile floor. While scrubbing yesterday I found little pieces of hair and bits of food waxed into the floor. My landlord then proceeded to tell me in all his years of being a landlord, only one tenant has cleaned an apartment to the point where it was as clean as when they moved in. And I should be prepared to wax all the floors in the apartment. Oy.

I don’t know what he can do if doesn’t think the apartment isn’t clean enough because he’s already taking my entire deposit for getting out of my lease a month early. He doesn’t really seem interested in looking at the apartment before the walk through on Saturday, even though he expressed major interest and concern over it just three days ago. I just hope he remembers that he said he would touch up the spots in need of paint. He’s also promised (in writing) that he would provide me with the supplies I need to wax the floors. So far, nothing has been mentioned about when and where I can pick up those supplies, even though the floor waxing has been a major topic of conversation. He’s supposed to stop by tomorrow to have a quick look at the apartment, let’s see if that happens.

Alright, so enough of my venting session about my landlord. On a lighter, much more exciting note, I cut my hair on Tuesday. I wasn’t going to mention it until I was in the 5400 (because I wanted to surprise Trout) but I unintentionally told him on the phone last night. Pictures, however, will have to wait until I’ve moved. The ones I’ve taken myself are not very good, so I’ll wait until someone else can take a picture for me. I’m still getting used to the change, but so far I really like it. I still can’t get over how fast I can get ready now. And I’m going to save a bundle on shampoo and conditioner. And I won’t be shedding 1 ½ foot strands of hair all over the place. Okay I’m done gloating about the new haircut. But in case you missed it, I really like it.

Considering how the day is shaping up tomorrow, I may not be able to post. The next time you’ll hear from me I’ll be done with the move and in the 5400 for good!

Woohoo!

3 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I hate waxing floors. You have my utmost sympathies.

How clever of you to get the haircut, then tell us about it and make it seem we were about to go to a pic...and then pull the rug out from under us. You wily minx, you. I eagerly await said pics of the new doo.

Safe and happy move!

11:21 PM

 
Blogger Leta said...

Congratulatiosn on the hair cut!! There's very little that's really better than a haircut that you love, is there?

11:09 AM

 
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Oh and landlords are notorious for being assholes.

When I moved from my duplex, my landlord told me my deposit would not be returned to replace the screens that had been damaged by my cat's claws.

My DECLAWED cat's claws...

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home