...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A Guilty Pleasure

I went to happy hour at the usual hangout with Rebecca last night and we decided that despite everything we’re doing to get back to normal this week, we will never fully get over what happened. The best we can do is to get up and move on as best we can. With that being established, tonight’s post will be nothing but shallow and frivolous. Another way to move up and onward.

There’s this show…on FOX…a reality show…a competition show where America votes for their favorite competitor…I…can’t…stop…watching…it.

No, it’s not American Idol.

Let’s call it American Idol’s less-popular little sister. Mistaken for its wider known sibling, it dreams of being friends with the cool kids someday. But alas, it’s been thrown into the slums of summer reality TV, and it just may never reach Idol primetime status. But I love it none-the-less.

Oh yes, that’s right folks, I love me some So You Think You Can Dance?

I think, somewhere deep inside my psyche, the little girl who wanted to be a ballerina never died. The funny thing is, I never wanted to be a ballerina when I was a little girl. Yet, for some reason, I watch these people on this show and wish I could do all the dances they’re performing. Okay, I take that last statement back; I wish I could do everything but contemporary. Anything contemporary in the fine arts realm holds no appeal to me…but that’s a diatribe for a whole other post.

Where was I? Oh, yes…I wish I could dance. And not just going out on the dance floor and being able to move around to the beat without looking too much like a fool. I can do that just fine, thank you very much. I mean I wish I could waltz or tango, swing, dance around like a maniac to Broadway music (which also brings up a wish that I could actually sing…but I digress once again), tap, or even be able to do a little hip-hop (alas there’s no junk in the trunk to make that one happen).

This little voice in my head tells me I could be capable of doing it, but I have no means to find a way to prove that to myself. So, for now I will live vicariously through second-class summer reality TV. And when I’ve had my fill of dance, I can continue my first reality TV guilty pleasure…America’s Next Top Model. The only difference there is that I have no want or any ambition to take up modeling as a hobby.

You can all breathe a sigh of relief.

5 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

"I can continue my first reality TV guilty pleasure…America’s Next Top Model."

Kathryn...ANTM was your first reality tv guilty pleasure? Please, please, please do NOT tell me you have never watched the finest reality series in the history of ever THE AMAZING RACE. Barring the ill-conceived family edition, this is the class act of them all.

Which is not to take away from MODEL. But without my beloved Janice Dickinson, well that puppy has lost it's teeth somewhat. God, how I miss that wacky, crazy, evil woman and her ability to belittle a contestant.

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Dirk and Chad...I have watched a few episodes of The Amazing Race, and can see it's addicting qualities. I also had friends in college who loved it. They even made an audition tape for the family edition.

Tell me when it's on and I will undoubtedly find myself watching that every week too. And Dirk, you're right, Twiggy just doesn't have the same wickedness that Ms. Dickinson does. You can catch her very own reality show on Oh! I believe...

Dennis...oooh dance lessons! I'll have to see if the 5600 has any of those possibilities. Alas, I don't have a dance partner here, but change of locale might also help that situation. Although I don't know how Trout feels about that. I don't think he knows much about my secret love of dance.

I guess he does now. Heh heh heh.

11:07 AM

 
Blogger Trout said...

Oddly enough, this isn't the first time I've been pressured to take dance lessons.

Nevertheless, I can neither confirm nor deny that I would be willing to take dance lessons if the opportunity arose.

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Trout...you know I won't pressure you to do anything you don't want to do...even dance lessons.

I'll just ask one of my other boyfriends.

6:53 PM

 
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Ouch. Kitty's got claws.

Saucer of milk, table for one.

11:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home