...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Grown Up

I have graduated from college. I have a great job with decent pay, great benefits and paid vacation. I live by myself in a one bedroom apartment that I have almost decorated to my liking. I am in a stable, fantastic relationship with a wonderful man. Occasionally, I even socialize with coworkers, family or friends on the weekends or after work.

All of these statements somehow have combined to make me an adult, a concept I am still having a hard time comprehending. I don’t feel like an adult. I see other people my age (or close to) everyday and I still don’t feel like I can relate to them, they seem older than me, more mature or more put together somehow. This isn’t a slam on myself or anything like that, there’s just some sort of disconnect between how I see my life and how I see my peers’ lives.

I don’t think I’ve spent my life with this romantic vision of adulthood, and have somehow become disappointed when living it isn’t as glamorous as I had imagined when I was a kid. But maybe that is my problem; I could never relate to the adult world entirely because I never was an adult, and so these romantic notions somehow crawled into my head, and now that I’m here, I realize that it’s just my life. “Just my life” is a very good thing, folks, please don’t take that last statement the wrong way; I have never been happier.

When I was younger, I always had a hard time imagining what it would be like to be older. When I was six, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be 12, when I was twelve, it was hard to see myself at 18. And unremarkably, every year I would become an age I once had a hard time picturing. For awhile I had a hard time grasping what it would be like to have my own place, support myself, and ultimately just be on my own. But somehow, it just happened and now here I am.

Yesterday morning Jenn, Phil, my Mom and Dad came over for brunch. It was the first time I prepared a meal for more than one other person (besides myself). Okay, sure there wasn’t much cooking involved. I cooked some bacon and my Mom helped me with the scrambled eggs. The rest involved cutting up a lot of fruit and mixing the orange juice, setting the table etc, etc. It was really nice to have (almost) the entire family together. I acquired an iron bench from an evicted apartment in the building (with permission from my landlord, of course), which fit nicely in my kitchen and gave everyone a place to sit. I’ve had countless breakfasts with my family, but this was the first time everyone came to my place. Best of all, I didn’t feel a disconnect, making breakfast in my own apartment for my family felt like my life.

Slowly, but surely I’m actually beginning to realize that I’m an adult, not just some 23 year-old who stumbled upon this life by accident.

2 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I'm 40 and still feel like a kid around everyone. (That may be from the numerous blows I've taken to the head over the years...)

Your family breakfast sounds like a memory you'll cherish for a long time to come.

12:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me share something with you Kathryn (and the rest of your readership). Dad and I witnessed a side of you we have never seen before this past weekend. You are a truly independent, successful young woman who has found her place in the big city all on her own. Ya don't get much more grown up than that, kiddo. And the best part for us........... you look so happy, healthy and pleased with your new life. We too enjoyed meeting up at your place, eating at your table and knowing our little girl is doing just fine on her own. Onward and upward!

1:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home