...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Spring Break Part I: Baking Cookies, Visiting Family, and the Best Chile Rellenos in Denver

One of the perks of working at an organization that runs after school programs is that the employees get to enjoy (to some extent) the same vacations as the students. Because my spring break isn't the same as P’s (or anybody I else I know, for that matter), I get to partake in spring break twice. My break comes at the end of the month, but P’s started this past weekend.

We had originally planned on meeting up in Steamboat Springs to hang out with some of his good friends. I haven’t gotten the chance to meet any of P’s pre-current-college friends, so I was doubly excited for the weekend. Unfortunately things didn’t go as planned (D and J, I really hope this week is going better than the last and we’ll see you in May!); so P came to visit me in Denver instead.

We spent the weekend hanging out at my apartment, making a couple trips back to the suburbs to visit J, brother-in-law P, sister A, her boyfriend D, my parents and grandpa who were all also visiting for the weekend, watching basketball, bad TV (which we thoroughly mocked), baking cookies and eggrolls, and the general lounging around that comes with time off from work and school.

We didn’t hit the slopes or the beach; copious amounts of alcohol were not consumed and we didn’t stay up until dawn partying with the throngs of other spring break celebrators. I have absolutely no reason to complain, I had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. P stayed an extra day and I got to spend my lunch break on Monday away from the office, for once. P and I dined on the “Best Chile Rellenos in Denver” as boasted by the Mexican restaurant a couple blocks from the apartment. But best of all, I got to come home from work to find someone waiting for me. As we stood in my little kitchen, chopping up carrots and celery for our eggrolls, I not only felt incredibly domestic, but completely happy and content. Seven months ago, I wouldn’t have imagined that this was how I would be celebrating the arrival of spring, and now that I'm here, I wouldn’t change a thing. This was a fantastic pseudo-spring break, and I can’t wait to enjoy my own time away from work.

*********************
And to set the record straight (and to protect my integrity when it comes to my emotions and chick-flicks) I did not cry while watching this movie, as it has been so inaccurately portrayed in P’s most recent post. I occasionally like to indulge in a shallow, happy movie, but I certainly don’t need to stock up on the tissues as a precaution before going to the movies. Unless it’s The Fox and the Hound, then I might need the Kleenex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home