...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What? No Lollipop?

Yesterday, I did something I have never done as an adult. After over seven months of having health benefits, I actually went to the doctor.

My throat, and more specifically the glands under my chin and around my neck, have been a little sore and/or swollen for the last couple of months. I didn’t think much of it, and just ignored it, or I did until this weekend. While lounging around with Trout this weekend, somewhere between discussions about the possibility of killing polar bears with handguns and the award for best ass and facial stubble on a (supposedly) deserted island, the pain turned from occasional annoyance to constant discomfort.

Seeing that it was visibly bothering me, Trout suggested I go to the doctor when I got back to Denver. My initial thought was that I couldn’t go to the doctor because I wasn’t really sick. Sure, the thought had crossed my mind a couple times over the months when I realized that I still had swollen glands or a sore throat, but this was nothing major; just a minor nuisance that eventually went away, even if just for a short time. This was not a problem worthy of going to get looked at.

Growing up, we only went to the doctor if it was absolutely necessary. On top of that, the doctor I saw on a much more regular basis wasn’t my pediatrician, but my neurosurgeon. Going to the doctor today still makes me nervous. I think subconsciously, upon seeing the three year old magazines among the mauve and teal upholstered waiting room chairs, my body prepares itself for the worst, even though the worst rarely happened. I don’t like getting that knotted feeling in my stomach, I try to avoid that whenever possible. In short, visits to the doctor were for the serious stuff. Even if the thought of going crossed my mind over the last couple of months, I never seriously considered it. Sore throat? Drink some water and suck on some Vitamin C drops, and you’ll be just fine!

Back in the office on Tuesday, having been sidelined from doing any work due to lack of email and internet, I jumped into uncharted territory and made an appointment. Somehow I managed to not only get the doctor I wanted, but I got an appointment that morning. Now that everything is said and done, I have to say it really wasn’t too bad of an experience and I’m glad I went. For a minimal fee I was given peace of mind and a clean bill of health; just a slightly agitated throat due to allergens and other unhappy things in the air. It may have taken me many months to figure out this particular perk of the job, but now I know why they’re called benefits.

Except that whole unexpected tetanus shot I had to get, that wasn’t so cool. Since I now see a doctor of internal medicine and not a pediatrician, I didn’t get a lollipop (or even a cool band-aid) either. I guess it’s not always advantageous to be an adult.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to share this with me last night on the phone. :( I am just glad you had a pleasant visit and the outcome was good. Darn those allergans.

10:10 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Sorry, Mom! I think the stressors of work made me temporarily forget my adventures earlier in the week. I didn't mean to omit that information in our conversation!

Thanks for all the great advice last night, you're the best!

10:23 AM

 
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Oh, the unexpected vaccinations! Hate those. The expected ones too. Dirk don't do needles.

And I'm with you on the knotted stomach sitting in the doctor's office -- or even thinking about sitting in one.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sanders said...

glad to hear it turned out to be just a soar throat! Let me tell you, ever since I started my new job, it's so nice to have health insurance once again!

8:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home