...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Live From the BH

Finally deciding to dip into my PTO, I hitched a ride with Jenn and Phil to the BH this weekend. They are staying with Phil’s family in the nearby “city,” so this is the first time we’ve all been home at the same time (since they were married three years ago) that I get to sleep in what used to be my room (now the guest room). The top bunk in the other bedroom will remain un-slept in this trip. Finally!

Stepping out of the car last night, I’ve never been so glad to be home. Even though it’s a little smoky from forest fires, I’m still convinced it's cleaner than the city. I can see the stars again, there are more trees than houses; I’m looking out the window right now and I can’t see an inch of pavement. I woke up this morning, not to sound of car horns and sirens, but instead, to the sound of Sandhill Cranes. Normally this isn’t the most soothing sound in the world, but this morning, in combination with the 52 degree temperature, was in a word, heaven.

As I was getting dressed this morning, I could hear a lot of “mooing” in the distance. My parents’ house is about a quarter of a mile off the main road, and that much noise from cattle means only one thing: someone was moving cattle off the mountain and down the highway. I chuckled at myself when I realized that I would much rather get stuck in a traffic jam that involved live animals than other cars. At least the wranglers try to get the cattle to move out of your way. No such luck with automobiles.

The only thing that puts a damper on my time at home is the fact that I have to spend a good chunk of the day inside due to dilated pupils. Trips home usually mean at least two mandatory appointments: the eye doctor and hair dresser. Unfortunately, my hairdresser (the only person I trust to do anything major with my hair) is out of town this weekend (no short haircut for me), so I had to settle with just the eye doctor. Now I have pupils the size of saucers. Until they return to normal size and I can see up close again and can stop wearing the sunglasses, I’m enjoying the wireless internet and satellite TV at my parent’s house.

So, really I have nothing to complain about. I can still see the TV and computer screen, so even though I’m stuck inside for a bit, at least I have endless possibilities to keep me entertained.

As soon as my eyes are up to it, I’m taking a walk to go see my Dad at the shop across the highway (saying across the street implies it’s a block away, it’s really more like half a mile away). Until then, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to watch the end of a Project Runway rerun.

2 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Lord, you know how my people love us some PROJECT RUNWAY.

I hate having my eyes dilated. When I was a kid, I was afraid the eye doctor would dilate them too much and the pupil would explode, leaving me blind for life. (Yeah, I was a kook even as a kid.)

Enjoy your visit and safe trip home.

11:22 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Dirk...I got addicted to Project Runway after watching a couple episodes that ran on NBC. I have to admit, I think I'm developing a weakness for reality TV.

Rosellen...I think you've hit the nail on the head. As much as I enjoy my urban life, there's something about the country and smaller town atmosphere that make me feel so much more at home.

Don't get me wrong, I have no regrets about moving to Denver, it's slowly feeling more like home. Living at both ends of the spectrum, however, is giving me a much idea of where I want to end up.

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home