...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Praise Jebus!

The reprieve we had from the heat wave was short lived. The cool temperatures that graced the beginning of the last week were nowhere to be seen in a few days time and the triple digits where back just in time for the weekend.

Upon the insistence of Trout’s friend Dave, Trout and I made one last trip before his big move to the 5600. Retreating to cooler climates, we spent the weekend in Steamboat Springs and Winter Park. Here are the highlights:
  • I finally made it to Steamboat. It’s taken since October, but Trout and I got there at the same time. And I finally got to meet Jenn (Dave’s lovely wife).
  • Also got to meet the famous Sadie-dog and Marley. Oh how I wish I could have a dog.
  • I got the best sleep I’ve had in at least a month. It was dark and quiet and even when I woke up briefly in the mornings, my mind didn’t turn on and start thinking a million miles a minute.
  • Got to hang out in a dive of a bar in Winter Park and listen to Jebus (the band Dave sings and plays guitar for). Give me a dive bar over some swanky lounge any day. The drinks are much more affordable.
  • Went (car) camping for the first time in years. I have a looong way to go before I’m equipped and experienced enough to be an outdoorsy person, but I’ll get there. Not only was I cold for the first time in months (and was actually happy about it), but I saw the moon, stars and Milky Way; I really, really miss that living in the city. Hooray for camping!
  • Overall, I was just incredibly thankful to escape the city and enjoy something a little more slow paced, quiet and cooler. I was never more thankful for the weekend than on my trip home when I got stuck in traffic on I-70, 50 miles outside of Denver. Yes, that’s right, stuck in traffic for an hour, in 90+ degree heat, on the interstate. Apparently half the city had the same idea to escape the heat as I did.

This weekend helped me realize that while the city is fun and exciting and unlike any other thing I’ve done thus far in my short, fairly simple life, it’s not a permanent thing. I need nights that are dark, quiet and star gaze-able. When the temperature climbs, I don’t want it to be intensified by miles of asphalt, concrete and car exhaust. When I’m driving down the interstate I want to be able to go the speed limit, not 55 miles below it.

Call it cliché, but you can take the girl out of the country, but I guess you can’t take the country out of the girl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be the sister link--I've been thinking the same thing about city life (or suburbia life, in my case). I do love it here, but I've really been missing home lately.

7:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home