...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Monday, June 12, 2006

I’m Not A Runner, But I Play One On TV

Recap time folks: I am chronically unathletic. Because of this condition I avoided sports (with the exception of Ultimate Frisbee) like the plague and dentist appointments through high school and college. For some reason I also associated physical activity with athleticism and therefore didn’t do much to get or stay in shape.

In high school everyone knew I was the band/drama/academic team geek and there was never any question as to my athletic ability. So when I was a freshman in college, I was really confused why people kept asking if I was on the cross country team, or if I ran track in high school. Didn’t being in the marching band automatically correlate with non-athleticism? Apparently not. And apparently, unbeknownst to me for the first 18 years of my life, I look like a runner. I found this rather amusing because I hated running. Ever since I developed asthma in the second grade, not to mention my inability to really excel at any sport, running and overexerting my lungs just lost its appeal..

I’ve since outgrown the asthma and have come to realize I can still get in shape without having to become a killer basketball player. Since starting (and then, finishing) college there have been some short-lived occasions where getting shape was almost a reality; emphasis on short-lived and the almost part of that statement.

This weekend marked the beginning of the World Cup. I went to L-town to hang out with Trout. This, of course involved a lot of World Cup watching, and inspired us to go buy a soccer ball to kick around one afternoon. I suppose I could blame the altitude (L-town is at 7220 feet, a good 2000 feet above Denver), and after several short sprints and a little bit of mild jogging around the park, I was completely spent. I was not happy about this. However, I realize I have the ability to run decently, and hell, since I look like a runner, why can’t I be a runner?

Before I could talk myself out of it, as soon as we got back to Trout’s place, I ordered some new running shoes. I’m tired of being out of shape and feeling all lethargic and sluggish. It’s getting too hot out to actually walk to work now (with a 20 minute walk, if it’s above 70 degrees, I am too sweaty for comfort by the time I get to work), but I still want to get some sort of exercise. As soon as my new shoes arrive in the mail (hooray for zappos.com!), I’m going to start running in the mornings before work. No, seriously, I really am. Something happened this weekend and my frame of mind shifted. Instead of thinking I should exercise because it would be the right thing to do, I actually I want to exercise because it would make me feel better.

I realize it’s nothing profound, but it’s enough to get me out of bed every morning, put on my running shoes and do what I really never saw myself doing, ever: running just for the hell of it.

Works for me. Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Kathryn,

I just returned from my morning walk. Since I can't afford the gas to drive to town and go to the gym anymore I decided to walk again for the same reason you are going to start running.........you just feel better after a little morning exercise. For me, it is also a great time to observe our surroundings; new baby birds taking flight for the first time, aromatic flowers (and sometimes weeds), waving at the people going to work that I don't even know (and they wave back).

I am glad you are finding out that exercise is an important part of staying healthy. Remember all those lectures in P.E. class. Mr. Macht wasn't exeactly a stellar example of fitness.

So, good luck and enjoy those morning runs. They are the best!

Mom

8:16 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks, Mom.

You just reminded me of another reason why I used to hate all forms of physical activity... creepy PE teachers...well just that one in particular. I think I mentally blocked out those memories.

But, in all honesty, I really am looking forward to start my new routine. The shoes are on their way!

9:14 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks Rosellen!

I had no idea Trout was even remotely impressed by my athletic prowess until I read his blog. And I'm sure, no matter how in-shape I get, I will always remain modest about athletic ability.

7:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home