...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Curse Has Been Broken!

Yesterday, instead of lounging around my apartment or elbowing my way through the throngs of people at SuperTarget, I hung out with P and his friend D in Silverthorne while they fished the Blue River.

P met D and his wife J about five years ago and have been friends ever since. After hearing numerous stories about D and J, I was really looking forward to actually meeting them. I also feel like I owe both of them a big hug and a “Thank You!” P came out to Colorado for their wedding in 2002, and it was during this trip that P realized he needed to move back West. It may have taken a couple years, but the rest they say, is history. Thanks!

As I mentioned in a previous post, up until two weeks ago, I hadn’t met any of P’s friends from his pre-move back to L-town days. That’s not to say we didn’t try. D and J live in Steamboat Springs, which is actually closer to L-town than Denver, but still not that long of a drive from either place. Our first attempt to visit was back in October. P and I planned to spend the weekend in Steamboat before the weather (and the roads) got too iffy and inconsistent to drive. J ended up having a conference in Denver that weekend, so instead of going to Steamboat, I went to L-town, and with my parents in town as well, P got to officially meet them.

With P’s job, school and the work involved in both, my job search, eventual job, move and all that, another trip to Steamboat wasn’t planned until this past March. P was on Spring Break, and he planned on spending it in Steamboat. I was hoping to head over after work on Friday and spend the weekend with them. P called me the Wednesday before and told me D had to have an emergency appendectomy. The roads to Steamboat also got pummeled with snow that weekend, which would have made the trip long and unpleasant. So, instead of going to Steamboat, P came to Laramie, we made D a care package, and P and I spent the weekend hanging out, which included hanging out with my family (including my parents and grandpa).

Why is it that my parents happen to be in town when P and my Steamboat plans fall through…hmmm very interesting. Conspiracy….perhaps.

But probably not.

So, after the second attempt to visit D and J didn’t work out, P and I joked that I was cursed when it came to meeting his friends. All joking aside, I was a little worried that there was more truth to our jokes than we were admitting. However, there was an easy solution to this problem…invite a good chunk of his close friends to a party and surely, some will show up.

They did indeed show up. Problem solved, curse, mostly, broken. J was unable to make it to the party, and this weekend when I met up with P and D in Silverthorne, J was enjoying sunny Mexico with her mom and sister. I still haven’t made it to Steamboat, but now that snow is no longer in the forecast, and D’s appendix no longer a problem, making it to Steamboat to hang out with P, D, and J no longer seems like this great hurdle to overcome.

Slowly but surely, the curse is being lifted. C, H and their two sons will be moving back to L-town from the East Coast later this summer, and P’s stepbrother is getting married next weekend (where I get to meet the rest of P’s family that couldn’t make it to his party). I think it’s safe to say I’m no longer a stranger in P’s “other” life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home