...many times a simple choice can prove to be essential even though it often might appear inconseqnetial.

Monday, November 14, 2005

P

My life may be a little topsy-turvy right now; I may not know what I want to do with my life, and I’m not sure what (or when) my next job will be, but I do have one, certain, solid thing in my life right now, and that is P.

In my first post, I wrote the ending of relationships and the beginnings of others were two rather large steps forward in my life in recent months. The beginning I mentioned, is one I am lucky enough to have started with P. We met and became friends a little over a year ago when we worked together at school. I always looked at couples who were friends before they dated (my sister and brother-in-law have known each other since the 6th grade) with a great amount of admiration. I emerged from the end of one relationship to realize, with part amazement and part delight that the beginning of my next relationship had already started. I am now thrilled to say I am dating one of my best friends, and I couldn’t be happier.

Even though we’ve known each other for over a year, we’ve only been officially dating for a little over two months. And in these two months, we’ve never actually ventured out on a real date. Perhaps I should clarify a little bit...we’ve been places together, we’ve done things as a couple, but we haven’t done the stereotypical date. So, Friday night we got dressed up (I even wore makeup), went out to dinner at a great Cajun restaurant and then to a Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer concert. Great food, wine and conversation followed by a phenomenal display of not just banjo and bass playing, but just amazing talent overall; it was by far the best date I’ve ever been on.

The next afternoon, after a day of just relaxing and hanging out at P’s place, we decided to go to the last home football game of the year. It started at 4:00pm, an hour or so before the sun starts to go down. In November. Needless to say it was cold, and despite all that we did to stay warm, we only stayed a quarter, just long enough for our feet to start to go numb. We watched our team get stomped from the comfort of a (heated) pub down the street from P’s place.

The fact of the mater is, whether I’m sitting at a fancy restaurant, having put more thought into my appearance than I have in months (because I wanted to, not because I had to), or if I’m bundled in three layers of clothing just to stay warm, I feel the same way; my life may be a little crazy right now, but one thing is for certain. To quote one of my favorite bands...”Turns out not where, but who you’re with that really matters.”

I couldn't have said it better myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home